Victory Patterns – Nicola Dress

I picked up the Victory Patterns Nicola dress during indie pattern month (along with the Sew Over It Tulip Skirt). It was the sleeves that got me. I had never sewn any like it before and I wanted to learn how.

Overall, I liked this pattern. I didn’t use material I liked very much though and I had a few issues with fit that I will try to fix if I ever make another version. The pattern sizing didn’t work well for me so I had to modify fairly heavily. I also didn’t realize the skirt was supposed to be lined until I had already started cutting my material out. I didn’t end up lining it because I wanted a light summer dress. I took 3 inches of the length of the skirt and a half inch off the bodice length, the later of which I shouldn’t have done because the bodice ended up much shorter than the measurements listed in the instructions anyway. I added my own waist band between the bodice and the skirt and that added some of the length back into the bodice but not enough to make it comfortable.

One other issue I had with this pattern was that the sizing lines were not always easy to identify when I was cutting out the pattern. It isn’t a deal breaker but it would be nice if they were a little easy to see. I am glad I tried this pattern out because I do love the sleeves. They are so pretty and nice and cool in the hot summer weather. If I make this again, I will make a number of modifications and will pick a fabric that works better with my skin tone. This one will probably just be a toile.

Thanks for stopping by!

~ Lindsay


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *