My modified V9253

Yes, it’s the dress that everyone seems to make. I’ve scrolled the hashtag on Instagram for so long wondering if I should make it too. Then Sitka Fabrics gifted me some lovely washed linen in the colour teal and I decided the time was right to tackle this fan favourite……

Workout Capsule – Make Nine 2020

My modified Avery Leggings were the first of three planned makes for the first project of my Make Nine plans this year. Next up were a reversible Power Sports Bra and a modified Sundance Jacket (both from Greenstyle Creations). These were my first makes with Greenstyle Creations patterns and they…

Make Nine 2019 Recap

My plan for this year’s Make Nine was to really dig in – to pick nine makes that I wouldn’t just make, but would toile and make and make again until I felt like I’d mastered something new. I set out my plans at the end of 2018 and stayed…

By Hand London Rumana Toile

I’ve had a vision in my mind of a very specific coat for over two years: Grey wool, knee length or a little longer, double breasted, fitted, with polka dot silk lining. I bought the lining two years ago from Gala Fabrics in Victoria and the grey wool from Blackbird…

Upgraded with a ruffle

Just a short post today because I’ve finally learned the power of adding a ruffle! My Deer and Doe Magnolia was one of my first makes of the year. I wore it a couple of times but I had cut it a tiny bit short and combined with the light…

Vintage Butterick 6275

Not being a curvy gal, I usually stay away from vintage patterns. Their waist/hip ratios are not designed for straight old me. But when I was looking for a very specific blouse shape this summer and could not find it in my indie pattern search, I turned to my mom’s…

Megan Nielsen Rowan Dress

Prior to my recent, quite successful efforts to turn the Megan Nielsen Rowan top/bodysuit into a swimsuit, I also decided to experiment with a knit, high-neck, body con dress. I’ve had a vision in my head of this dress – a navy and ecru striped double knit, fitted turtleneck dress…

Marigold Clyde Pants Hack 2

I tried it again! The same Clyde pants hack from my last post but this time much narrower and made out of Tencel Twill from Blackbird Fabrics. I made these while I was up in Nanaimo, helping my mom after her double knee replacement. She’s a champ though and I…

Marigold Clyde Pants Hack

In my ongoing Make Nine 2019 quest to use, and reuse, and reuse patterns some more, I decided to hack the Tilly and the Buttons Marigold pants that I used for my Marigold jumpsuit and my Anza/Marigold mashup. I used a brilliant tutorial by Catherine at Thread Snips to turn…

Swim Capsule Wardrobe

Heads up: long post coming. It includes details of 3 patterns resulting in 1 suit, 1 rash guard, 2 bikini tops and 3 bikini bottoms PLUS my sewing fail and resulting shoulder injury! (all sizing details and my measurements are included at the end of the post) I had great…

Marigold/Anza Jumpsuit

This make was ALL ABOUT the fabric. I bought two metres of this gorgeous Linen/Cotton Chambray from Blackbird Fabrics on a whim before I new what I wanted to make. I thought, and thought, and thought some more – then was walking downtown wearing my Marigold Jumpsuit when it came…

Reversible Wiksten Haori

The Wiksten Haori has been out for quite a while but it took three specific occurrences in my life for me to take notice of it this spring. The temperature of my workplace became a problem as warm weather approached. I started my new job late last summer so was…

Langers – Lander/Ginger Mashup

After my first two pairs of Lander Pants and after seeing so many high-waisted, wide -leg, clean front pants in my Instagram feed, the idea popped into my head to mash the Lander Pants pattern and Ginger Jeans pattern together into one super pattern – Langers. My goal was to…

Double Reversible Ogden Cami

When my Sudley Blouse collar did not survive the wash (my fault, not the pattern or fabric), I wanted to reuse the lovely fabric by making a stash-busting Ogden cami… but I didn’t have enough fabric for the lining. That constraint was the impetus behind this idea. If I was…

French Navy – Orla Dress #3

It got hot this summer. So hot that I was craving a long, light, loose-fitting maxi dress. I saw this gorgeous embroidered viscose poplin from Blackbird Fabrics and I immediately thought of making a maxi versionĀ of the Orla dress (previously made here and here). Modifying the Orla was easy. I…

Matchy two-piece trial

I’m not sure when or why I started wanting to try a matching two-piece outfit, but I did and it happened. It also happenedĀ once before with two knit pieces but this time my vision was woven – specifically a floaty woven rayon from my stash. The result is…. well I’m…

Tessuti – Lois Dress #2

Immediately after I made my first Tessuti Lois Dress back in January , I made plans to try it again. I loved the fit of the top of this beautiful, simple dress but the hips ended up far to large on me. This isn’t surprising since I am very much…